Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why does it matter if a used car for sale has a crash record?

I'm looking for a used car and I found one that's really cheap, low mileage and has nice features.





But mom is freaking out because it probably has a bad crash record.


Why is that a problem?Why does it matter if a used car for sale has a crash record?
A crashed car can still have many major problems that haven't been fixed and that are not always visible.Why does it matter if a used car for sale has a crash record?
Unless you have the ability to fix the several minor things that will be wrong with a salvage title car avoid it.





That said, 2 of the last 3 cars I have bought have been salvage title and I seek them out deliberately. I am fully capable of fixing the little stuff that was not fixed right. And I know how to evaluate the before picture to see how bad the car was damaged. But if you are not a good amateur mechanic avoid them. Because by the time you pay to fix the little crap, you will have not saved a lot of money. Or you will not fix the little stuff and the car will annoy the crap out of you.





As for insurance, mercury here in California has been fine with insuring them for me.





And if the car you found is on the internet and they want to ship the car to you fr approval, it is a scam.
Probably? You need to run a vehicle report on it and get it checked at a reputable shop before you buy no matter what car it is. If is one that has been wrecked it would be best to avoid it to minimize potential problems in the future.
Probably?





My mom thought big name car dealers had better pricing and would be less likely to rip me off than a small dealer.





Yeah, that was wrong, too. I did my homework and you have to as well.
just stay away from any car that has a salvage title because they will cause you problems and usualy you cant put full coverage on them, if its a clean title then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Also hard to get insurance for a car that has a salvage title.

No comments:

Post a Comment